Wharton Chapter

Located in Covington, LA 
Chapter Meetings- 3rd Monday from September through May
Meeting Time- 11:00am

The Wharton Chapter was organized on October 10, 1974. The name Wharton, which was the original name of the city of Covington, was the first choice for the new chapter name. John Wharton Collins, a New Orleans merchant bought land in the forks of the Tchefuncte and Bogue Falaya Rivers in 1813. He subdivided the area and named it after his grandfather, John Wharton.

Wharton has members that represent all the communities of St. Tammany Parish. We criss-cross from Slidell to Folsom and Sun to Madisonville.  We are actively involved in Education, Patriotism and Historic Preservation. We have sponsored a tree along the Pathway of the Patriots in honor of Thomas Wharton Collins. We have nominated local women for the Women in American History Award and have supported one of our schools to create a Fife & Drum Ensemble. We hold a Wreaths Across America ceremony every year to honor the veterans buried in Covington Cemetery #1. We support our active military and veterans with donations of goods and supplies. We celebrate with a couple of luncheons each year for Constitution Week and National Defense.

Wharton ladies are involved in the work of DAR from encouraging conservation, promoting women's health, remembering veterans, preserving our nation's history and advocating patriotic education. We  are active, engaged women who love our country and are looking for opportunities to make a difference in our community.

Please contact the chapter if you would like to attend a meeting.