About the Badin- Roque House
The Badin-Roque House is an example of an early Creole building style known as poteaux-en-terre (posts-in-ground). This building was constructed by an early
French settler circa 1770.
Surviving examples of this style are rare due to the posts’ high susceptibility to water damage in Louisiana’s wet soil. It is believed that the Badin-Roque House is the only remaining building of its type in Louisiana and one of only four in the country. The simple one-story cottage has bousillage walls (a mixture of mud, Spanish moss and deer hair), an outdoor kitchen and a spacious porch situated under its large overhanging roof.
In the early 1800s the house was purchased by Nicholas Augustine Metoyer. Throughout its history the house has been used as a convent and later a catholic school house for Creole children. The house was purchased in 1979 by the St. Augustine Historical Society, and added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The LSDAR is partnering with the At. Augustine Historical Society to raise enough funds to restore and preserve the Badin-Roque House.